Thursday, October 1, 2009

Vitra Design Museum Model Draft 1







In many respects I found the initially design of the Vitra Design Museum to be obscure and slightly out of place merely sitting in the middle of a field. This is not to say that I disliked the design I just thought that the combination of very simple and basic structures on the bottom and unique extrusions on top was more appropriate for a different setting. This is the basic idea that made me decide on the adaptation of the original design that I’m planning to envision, I just needed to figure out how to make the unique extrusions more of a centre piece and not awkward on top of basic shapes. My influence came from the OUTrial House built in Poland.

My idea is to partially submerge the Vitra Design Museum in the field so the basic shapes are hidden and all you can see is an odd cluster of extrusions. This may require me to expand particular extrusions so that sufficient light can get into the museum in order for the displays within to get their desired light but otherwise the basic structure will remain the same. My hope is to add more questions about the structure, evoke more intrigue and curiosity because it is my opinion that a museum holding artist’s designs and work that make people enquire should also make a person enquire and become fascinated. It will also provided visitors with an opportunity to fully appreciated the skylight/window type structures on top the Vitra Design Museum which were only partial appreciated before hand without a helicopter.

No comments:

Post a Comment